Today we shall be talking about how to treat herpes zosters . And I hope it would be of value to you.
It is the same as shingles or is rather called shingles.
But what is herpes zosters?
Shingles is a painful skin rash . It is caused by the varicella zoster virus . Shingles usually appears in a band, a strip, or a small area on one side of the face or body. It is also called herpes zoster.
Shingles is most common in older adults and people who have weak immune systems because of stress, injury, certain medicines, or other reasons. Most people who get shingles will get better and will not get it again. But it is possible to get shingles more than once.
What Causes Herpes Zosters?
The disease is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. It appears when the virus starts up again in the body after staying dormant since the chicken pox treatment.
In most people the virus is able to stay dormant for ever while in others, stress and a weak immune system can trigger its resurrectionresurrection and this second coming is what leads to Shingles.
The first attack is causes chicken pox while the second attack can only lead to shingles and not chicken pox all over again.
How To Treat Herpes Zosters (Shingles)
- Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) vaccine is used for preventive purposes. Varicella-zoster immune globulin (VZIG) is used to prevent or modify clinical illness in susceptible persons who are exposed to varicella or zoster.
- Wet-to-dry dressings with sterile saline solution or Burow solution (a pharmacologic preparation made of 5% aluminum acetate dissolved in water) should be applied to the affected skin for 30-60 minutes 4-6 times daily. A modified form of Burow solution is commercially sold as Domeboro powder packets, which need to be dissolved in water.
- Calamine lotion, a mixture of zinc oxide with about 0.5% iron (III) oxide, may be used as an antipruritic agent. It is also used as a mild antiseptic to prevent infections that can be caused by scratching the affected area, as well as an astringent for weeping or oozing blisters. There is, however, no proof that calamine lotion has any real therapeutic effect on rashes and itching.
- Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir, famciclovir, or valacyclovir, to reduce the pain and the duration of shingles.
- Topical antibiotics, applied directly to the skin , to stop infection of the blisters.
- Over-the-counter pain medicines, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen , to help reduce pain during an attack of shingles.
The above mentioned treatments is how to treat herpes zosters but these are not all of them. And this is where your doctor comes in.
The above is how to treat herpes zosters and not cure it.
Incase you dont know, there is no cure for shingles , but treatment may shorten the length of illness and prevent complications.