Nigerian Health Blog-Nigerian HIV AIDS statistics is one disease fact that a lot if Nigerians are ignorant of.
It is then my intent to bring the information before you. As they say, knowledge is power.
And knowing about the Nigerian HIV AIDS statistics is that knowledge to help you understand the health menace we are currently facing.
The Contributive Risk Factors
- Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections (STI).
- Clandestine high-risk heterosexual and homosexual practices.
- Irregular blood screening.
- International trafficking of women.
- High-risk practices among itinerant workers.
To help us have a firm analysis of the Nigerian HIV AIDS Statistics, we shall have to make do of the number charts from UNAIDS
HIV and AIDS estimates (2015)
Number of people living with HIV
- 3 500 000 [2 600 000 – 4 500 000]
Adults aged 15 to 49 prevalence rate
Adults aged 15 and over living with HIV
- 3 200 000 [2 400 000 – 4 200 000]
Women aged 15 and over living with HIV
- 1 900 000 [1 400 000 – 2 400 000]
Children aged 0 to 14 living with HIV
- 260 000 [190 000 – 360 000]
Deaths due to AIDS
- 180 000 [120 000 – 250 000]
Orphans due to AIDS aged 0 to 17
- 1 800 000 [1 300 000 – 2 600 000]
The Nigerian HIV AIDS Statistics And Facts.
- Nigeria has the second largest HIV epidemic in the world.
- An estimated 60% of new HIV infections in western and central Africa in 2015 occurred in Nigeria.
- Unprotected heterosexual sex accounts for 80% of new HIV infections in Nigeria.
- HIV prevelance is highest in Nigeria’s southern states (known as the South South Zone).
- It is lowest in the southeast (the South East Zone) .
- Sex workers , men who have sex with men and people who inject drugs account for around 32% of new HIV infections.
- 18.6% of male sex workers and 24.5% of female sex workers in Nigeria are living with HIV.
- A third (32%) of all cases of mother to child transmission (MTCT) of HIV in the world happen in Nigeria.
- In Nigeria, 22% of people diagnosed with TB are also living with HIV.
And there you have it. The Nigerian HIV AIDS Statistics based on current information on ground.
Hope it educates you.