As a male the word menopause is no stranger in my register. I hear it all the time.
But its one of those words that a lot of men greatly misunderstand. We just don’t really care enough to bother understanding what it entails.
Tired of the assumptions I have decided to make a post on menopause so as to educate myself and other men as well.
1. Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when the function of the ovaries ceases and she can no longer become pregnant .
2. It is a 12 months timeframe during which the woman experiences absence of menstrual periods.
3. The average age of menopause is 51 years old.
4. Most women reach menopause between the ages of 45 and 55, but menopause may occur as earlier as ages 30s or 40s, or may not occur until a woman reaches her 60s.
4. The process of menopause is a gradual one and thus does not occur overnight.
5. One cannot predict when a woman will experience menopause.
6. The transition period is not the same experience for each women.
That is enough for now.
I think now I know enough to not sound ignorant or clueless when next I meet a lady bent on turning our discussion into a menopausal one.
Photo Credit: Vagifirm