Whenever I hear the word sugar I think of empty calories because that is exactly what sugar really is.
Pure energy minus proteins, essential fats, vitamins or minerals. In other words, sugar contains a whole bunch of calories with no essential nutrients.
Marcia Pelchat, PhD, a scientist at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a basic research institute in Philadelphia. “We’re born to like sugar,” she says.
But that does not mean we must allow it to ruin us.
1. By providing energy for the bad bacteria in the mouth, sugar is definitely bad for your teeth. Because in the long run it will cause tooth decay.
2. Sugar intake can lead to too much fructose in our system which in turn can lead to fat in the liver.
3. The fructose that has turned into fat in the liver can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
4. Too much sugar intake can lead to insulin resistance which eventually can lead to other diseases such as diabetes.
5. Multiple studies show that people who eat a lot of sugar are at a much higher risk of getting cancer.
6. Sugar leads to more craving which in turn translates into an increased calorie intake.
7. Because It causes a large release of dopamine in the brain, it is known to cause addiction in a lot of people.
8. Of course we all know that sugar is associated with excess body weight and as such it dramatically increases the risk of becoming overweight or obese both in kids and adults.
9. Sugar is bad for your heart. There are mounting evidence pointing to the fact that sugar, not fat, may be one of the leading drivers of heart disease via the harmful effects of fructose on metabolism.
10. Sugar increases your uric acid levels which is a strong indicator for heart and kidney disease.
11. Sugar is responsible for symptoms now classified as classic metabolic syndrome. Which includes: weight gain, abdominal obesity, decreased HDL and increased LDL, elevated blood sugar, elevated triglycerides, and high blood pressure .
Photo Credit: bit24/Fotolia
1. 10 Reasons Why Sugar is Bad For You. Retrieved 1 September 2017 at http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad.
2. What Happens to Your Body When You Eat Too Much Sugar? Retrieved 1 Sept 2017 at http://articles.mercola.com/sugar-side-effects.aspx.