-Turmeric is a perennial herb that is native to India and has the scientific name of Curcuma longa.
– Turmeric is a yellow spice also used for food and has also been hailed as one of the most powerful herbal medicines in Ayurvedic treatments.
– Curcumin is the most important and active ingredient in turmeric.
– Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color.
– The medicinal compounds found in turmeric are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin.
Turmeric is not as popular as curry or thyme powders in Nigeria but there are those of us who are already familair with the health benefits.
And today we shall be helping others come to the light by listing out the various health benefits of turmeric that we are certain a lot of nigerians would find beneficial to for their health goals.
For those Nigerians who have never heard or seen the turmeric powder before then take a walk through a major supermarket, browse through the spice section and you would find it.
And when you do and then decide to make it a part of your life then this post of the health benefits of turmeric should be bookmarked for reference purposes.
So shall we?
1. Menstrual Problems
First on our list is the health benefit that turmeric holds for mentrual issues due to its antiinflammatory properties that is know to work wonders on.
- Menstrual discomfort ,
- Excessive bleeding
- Mood swings
2. Cystic Fibrosis
Another health benefit from the super compound Curcumin is its ability to halt the development of cystic fibroid by correcting the protein-folding mutation that causes it.
3. Treatment And Prevention Of Cancer
Turmeric as shown tremendous healing potential in the cancer department by displaying the ability to help combat cancer.
- Its Curcumin content has been linked with a reduction in colon cancer cells.
- That ingredient has also proven to be a direct inhibitor for a protein that is essential for tumor growth.
- A 2007 American study that combined curcumin with chemotherapy to treat bowel cancer cells in a laboratory showed that the combined treatment killed more cancer cells than the chemotherapy alone.
According To The American Cancer Society
Laboratory studies have also shown that curcumin interferes with cancer development, growth, and spread. Researchers have reported that curcumin blocked the formation of cancer-causing enzymes in rodents.
Recently, curcumin has received a great deal of focus because of it’s ability to reduce tumor size and kill cancer cells.
4. Body Detoxification
Looking for a natural way to detoxify your body? Then turmeric might just be what you need.
The yellow spice due to it’s Curcumin content has proven to be able to improve on liver function and reduce the levels of toxicity in the body.
5. Improve Heart Health
The turmeric spice can also help your heart health.
- The curcumin directly balances your cholesterol levels by eliminating excess LDL (“bad cholesterol”) from the arteries and blood vessels.
- The curcumin vitamin B6 content can efficiently inhibit the production of homocysteine, which can damage cell walls and consequently affect your heart health negatively.
- Studies has also directly shown that Curcumin can help control heart attacks.
- Studies have shown that it can reduce angiogenesis (growth of new blood vessels in tumors), metastasis (spread of cancer), as well as contributing to the death of cancerous cells.
6. Improve Cognitive Abilities
Turmeric according to traditional usage is considered as a cognitive booster.
Modern research has also finally proven these traditional believes to be true.
The spice can boost.
- Cognitive abilities,
- Increase concentration,
- Boost memory retention.
Turmeric also helps to
- Protect the neural pathways from long-term oxidative stress and the build-up of plaque.
- Prevent cognitive degradations.
- Can clear up the buildup of protein tangles called Amyloid plaques that can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
7. Curb Depression
According to this research turmeric due to its Curcumin content was shown to possess a similar effect as Prozac on patients suffering from depression, mood swings, anxiety , and stress.
8. Gastrointestinal Issues:
Turmeric according to decades use of the spice, is said to possess the ability to improve on.the following conditions
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Gut health.
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
9. For Joint Pains.
According to this study turmeric extract supplements worked just as well as ibuprofen in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
10. Help With Diabetes
Among people with pre diabetes, curcumin capsules were found to delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes in a 2012 study. Over nine months, study participants were given either curcumin supplements or placebo capsules. Just over 16 percent of people taking the placebo pill were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes by the end of the study, while no one taking curcumin was .
11. Antioxidant Booster
In other words it improves the antioxidant capacity of your body.
12. Anti Inflammatory
Turmeric generally is an anti inflammatory spice.
The journal Oncogene published the results of a study that evaluated several anti-inflammatory compounds and found that aspirin and ibuprofen are least effective, while curcumin, is among the most effective anti-inflammatory compounds in the world.
Excessive Turmeric Dosage despite its health benefits Can Lead To.
- Heart irregularities (in limited cases)
13. Regulate Cholesterol Levels
A study done by Drugs in R & D found that curcumin was equal or more effective than diabetes medications at reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the treatment of high cholesterol.
Thus the reason behind this list of 14 health benefits of Turmeric. Use it and become whole through its many blessings.
These health benefits of turmeric was intended for you, you, and you.